The Municipal Clerk is a statutory officer of the Corporation and is assigned various duties by a number of Provincial statutes such as the Municipal Act, the Planning Act, the Municipal Elections Act, the Ontario Heritage Act and the Vital Statistics Act.

The Clerk provides administrative support services to the Municipal Council and other municipal departments and is responsible for preparing Council agendas, minutes, by-laws, resolutions, etc.

Other duties include issuance of birth and death registration; issuance of lottery licenses, Freedom of Information Requests administration and performing the duties for municipal elections.

Services Provided by the Clerk's Department

Commissioner of Oaths

The Clerk can sign documents that need the signature of a Commissioner of Oaths or Commissioner for Taking Affidavits. You will need to bring photo identification, and the document must be signed in the presence of the Clerk. This is a free service to Cramahe residents, but there is a $20 charge to non-residents.

The Commissioner of Oaths can sign documents including, but not limited to:

  • Consent to travel with children (travel letters)
  • Proof of residency
  • Vehicle transfer of ownership
  • Pension plans
  • Certify documents as “true copies”
  • Certification of an identifiable individual's signature
  • Government-related forms
  • Township of Cramahe department forms

The Commissioner of Oaths will NOT sign documents related to:

  • Wills
  • Living wills
  • Codicils of wills
  • Powers of attorney
  • Divorce, separation or custody
  • Theft
  • Real Estate
  • Court documents or documents related to court proceedings
  • Documents that require the signature of a Notary Public

Commissioner of Oaths are NOT Notary Publics. You will have to contact a professional lawyer, notary public entitled to practice law in Ontario, or a justice of the peace to sign those documents.

Delegation Requests

Council meets generally on every 1st and 3rd Tuesday of the month, with some exceptions. If you are interested in appearing in person at a Council meeting to present information or an opinion on a matter, you will need to fill out the Delegation Request Form and submit that form back to the Clerk's Department at least 4 days prior to the Council meeting. You will need to ensure that your delegation does not exceed 10 (ten) minutes.

Freedom of Information Requests

Everyone has the right to access a record in the custody and control of the Township of Cramahe, unless it falls within one of the exemptions as described in the Municipal Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act (MFIPPA).

The Municipal Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act (MFIPPA) provides an individual with the right to access records of information, including their own personal information, under the custody and control of a local government institution (municipality, county, region) with certain limitations in order to protect personal and sensitive information.

You will need to complete the Freedom of Information Request Form and pay the $5 filing fee (per request). Additional fees may apply if a lot of research and photocopying is required. The Municipal Clerk has 30 days to respond to Freedom of Information Requests unless an extension is required, in which case notification is provided to the applicant in writing outlining the reasons.

Lottery Licencing

The Clerk's office issues Lottery Licences to eligible charitable organizations for Bingo, Break-Open Tickets, Raffles and other lottery events. Lottery Licences are required if money is paid for a chance to win a prize.

A Lottery event has the following three components:

  • A prize
  • A chance to win the prize
  • A fee

Your group must be a charitable organization or a non-profit organization with charitable purposes in order to be eligible for a lottery licence. To find out if your group is eligible, please contact the Clerk's department.

Municipal Elections

Municipal elections in Ontario are held every four years. Council took office on December 1, 2014 and will conclude on November 30, 2018. Details regarding eligibility of electors and candidates and general election information is available from the Municipal Clerk's Office. Results from previous municipal elections are also retained in the Clerk's Office.