Welcome to the By-Law Department. By-law Enforcement is responsible for providing services to ensure the health and safety of the public by enforcing the by-laws and policies set by Council. The Township of Cramahe is committed to continuous improvement and open communication with the public in a method and by a process where comments; whether positive or negative are dealt with fairly, in a respectful manner, and are addressed as quickly as possible. The Township of Cramahe does not conduct proactive bylaw enforcement; rather it is driven through response to public complaints. 

The Municipal By-law Enforcement Officer will investigate your complaint shortly after receiving your written complaint on our By-law Complaint Form. The By-law Officer is usually successful in obtaining voluntary compliance with Cramahe's Municipal By-Laws. There are always instances that require additional enforcement and when an individual does not voluntarily comply, there are formal legal requirements that must be followed, and these can take time.

By-law Enforcement investigates and enforces regulatory municipal by-laws such as property standards, noise, parking and dogs. The By-Law Officer is also responsible for issuing licenses, such as refreshment vehicle, hawkers and pedlars, backyard hens and dog/kennel licensing. 

Principal Responsibilities of the Department include:

  • Responding to public complaints of property standards and by-law violations.
  • Investigating and prosecuting property standards and by-law violations.
  • Issuing parking tickets and provincial offences notices.
  • Preparing documents for court hearings.

Contact Information

1 Toronto Street, P.O. Box 357
Colborne, ON    K0K 1S0

Ph. (905) 355-2821
Fax. (905) 355-3430

Rodger Dingman

By-law Enforcement

Ext. 239

Email By-law Officer

To Report a Concern

If you are concerned about a by-law enforcement issue, you can file a by-law complaint by Reporting a concern regarding  By-Law Enforcement. If you wish to apply for a permit, you can visit the Applications Licenses and Permits webpage.

Illegal dumping should be reported to the Northumberland County Waste Management Department at 1-866-293-8379 or wastedept@northumberlandcounty.ca.

Animal Control

Cramahe Township now has a contract with the Northumberland Humane Society

***Please Note: The pickup officer will only attend if the dog is contained.***

Pickup is available during business hours only.

11:00 am to 4:00 pm 6 days a week (Emergency Calls only on Sundays)

To request a pickup please call Dispatch at 1- 905- 885-4131 (leave your name and contact information if the call is not answered immediately) messages are monitored regularly.

The Northumberland Humane Society will also accept dogs that are delivered by residents.

To Report Abuse and neglect of any animal.  If you think an animal is in distress or is being abused, call The Provincial Animal Welfare Service at 1-833-9-ANIMAL (264625).


Animal Services Contacts

Dispatch - 1-905- 885- 4131
Shelter Facility -   1-905-885-4131


Northumberland Humane Society

371 Ward St, Port Hope ON L1A 4A4


Sunday - Saturday : 11:00 am to 4:00 pm

Statutory Holidays: Closed

Parking Infractions

The by-law enforcement officer will issue parking infractions to vehicles that do not abide by all parking regulations. To view the regulations, visit the Township Parking website.

We accept cash, debit, cheque or money order.

If you don't pay a parking ticket on time, you may receive fees and court costs. You will also not be able to renew your Ontario Vehicle Permit until you pay the fine.


On October 17, 2018, recreational cannabis became legal in Canada. Visit the Cannabis in Cramahe page for information on how to report a complaint, apply for a retail license, and view other materials relating to Cannabis in Cramahe. 

Frequently Requested By-Laws

To view more Cramahe By-laws, visit our by-law module. 

2009-34        ATV Bylaw
2016-22        Backyard Hens (Chicken Bylaw)
2013-40        Burning Bylaw
2012-19        Dog Bylaw
2006-28        Fence Bylaw
2006-72        Firearms Bylaw
2006-71        Noise Bylaw
2007-31        Parking Bylaw
2009-71        Road Closure Bylaw
2010-44        Sign Bylaw