Animal Control By-Laws

Cramahe Township now has a contract with the Northumberland Humane Society

***Please Note: The pickup officer will only attend if the dog is contained.***

Pickup is available during business hours only.

11:00 am to 4:00 pm 6 days a week (Emergency Calls only on Sundays)

To request a pickup please call Dispatch at 1- 905- 885-4131 (leave your name and contact information if the call is not answered immediately) messages are monitored regularly.

The Northumberland Humane Society will also accept dogs that are delivered by residents.

To Report Abuse and neglect of any animal.  If you think an animal is in distress or is being abused, call The Provincial Animal Welfare Service at 1-833-9-ANIMAL (264625).

Animal Services Contacts

Dispatch - 1-905- 885- 4131
Shelter Facility -   1-905-885-4131


Northumberland Humane Society

371 Ward St, Port Hope ON L1A 4A4


Sunday - Saturday : 11:00 am to 4:00 pm

Statutory Holidays: Closed

For more information on regulating dogs within Cramahe Township, please see our By-law 2012-19.


For additional information on Animal Welfare, please visit the Minsitry of the Solictor General website. 

 Livestock Valuer and Large Animal Pound Keeper

The Township of Cramahe passed By-Law 2022-18 to appoint a Livestock Valuer as well as a Large Animal Pound Keeper.  

Rodger Dingman, By-law Enforcement Officer has been appointed as the Livestock Valuer. He can be reached at 905-355-2821. 

Ed Van Egmond has been appointed as the large animal pound keeper. If you come across large animals such as cows and horses that have escaped from their pens,  he can be contacted at (905)-344-7767.


Ontario Wildlife Damage Compensation Program (OWDCP)
The Township of Cramahe provides a service to provide relief to farmers that have lost livestock due to animal attacks. 

The Ontario Wildlife Damage Compensation Program (OWDCP) provides financial assistance to owners whose livestock, poultry and/ or honey bees have been damaged or killed by wildlife.  The OWDCP is part of Growing Forward 2 (GF2), a five-year, $1.5 billion federal-provincial-territorial funding program launched in 2013.  GF2 supports our agri-food and agri-products sector by encouraging innovation, competitiveness and market development alongside business risk management assistance. 

If a farmer discovers that one of their farm animals has died, the animal should not be touched and the surrounding area should be left undisturbed. The producer must immediately contact one of the Township's Livestock Evaluators. The Livestock Inspector will determine the type of kill involved and obtain any other necessary information as required. When the on-site evaluation is completed, the livestock inspector submits the required documentation to the Township office for processing. Township staff will then submit the claim to OMAFRA for consideration and carry out the process for reimbursement if applicable. 

 OWDCP Requirements
 Please note that in order to have an application approved by OMAFRA, all blank fields must be completed accurately. It is the responsibility of the livestock producer to ensure this. Specifically, a premises identification number is required. If you do not have a premises identification number, it can be obtained by visiting the Provincial Premises Registry webpage or by calling 1-855-697-7743. Additionally, you must take as many photos as possible of the kill(s) or damage(s). Without at least (5) photos of each individual animal, it will not be possible for OMAFRA staff to quantify the validity of the claim.
 Dog Tags and Information

The Township of Cramahe requires that your dog is licensed every year. Dogs are to be registered on or before March 1st.  Owners are required to apply for a license within 10 days of obtaining a dog. Having a tag on your dog's collar will assist in a quick recovery of your dog when he or she is found.

A maximum number of dogs per legal dwelling unit is limited to three (3), otherwise a Kennel Licence is required.  Prior to obtaining a Kennel Licence, you must confirm the zoning of your property by contacting the Municipality's By-Law Officer  Enforcement at 905-355-2821 ext. 239 

Dog tags may be purchased in the Municipal Administration office during business hours. Payment methods include cash, cheque and debit.

January 1st - February 28th: $15.00

March 1st – December 31st: $25.00

Dangerous Dog: $100.00

Kennel Licences: $100.00


Dog Bites - What to do?

  • Seek medical treatment - Call 911
  • Report the bite (By-law Enforcement Officer 905-355-2821 Ext.239  and Health Unit 905-885-9100) 
  • Provide a description of the dog
  • Retrieve the dog owner's name and address
  • Record specific information (date, time, location)
  • Gather witness information
  • Take photos of the bite injury
  • Write a handwritten statement with all details as soon as possible

If you are the owner of a dog that has bitten

  • Leash your dog 
  • Isolate your dog from other people/animals  
  • Report the bite (By-law Enforcement Officer 905-355-2821 Ext.239 and Health Unit 905-885-9100) 
  • Write a handwritten statement with all details as soon as possible

 Urban Wildlife
The Joint Animal Control Services program DOES NOT handle urban wildlife calls such as skunks, raccoons, bats. Residents are urged to contact a local pest control company who may or may not operate on a fee for service basis. Consult your local yellow pages for "Pest Control".